Cráb People

A 25-man raiding guild on EU-Talnivarr
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:39 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: Counter-Strike
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:37 pm 
Casual
 WWW  Profile

Miba wrote:
CS is the reason half-life sold so many copies. So it's not really free. I, for example, have never even played through half-life. I've spent probably thousands of hours in CS though... I wouldn't say it's free.

Also the graphics were stunning back then. Half-life was a really nice looking game when it came out and CS was released just a year or so later. When 1.6 launched, sure CS wasnt the bee's knees, but it was still decent looking compared to other games on the market. Atm it just looks poor. Not poor like picmip 8 QL looks poor with plain textures, but like a game that just is waaay dated.

If there could be a game that is gameplay wise a lot like a cross between CSS and 1.6 that has good enough graphics to make it bearable to watch for spectators, maybe CS could still have a spot among the larger e-sports titles. And really, I think we all can agree that at least to some extent we would like that?

You dont seem to realize that those who play 1.6 and spectate it gives jack about the graphics. What happened when cs:s got good graphics? terrain was horrible, models are still horrible, hitboxes are out of control. Source doesn't look better than 1.6 in anything, the graphic looses it's weight when the overall game is way to bad and easy to play.

It's the only game that gives you more skills than you can realistically bind on your keyboard and mouse and yet still takes close to no skill to play.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:35 pm 
Casual

Ekkorn wrote:
Miba wrote:
CS is the reason half-life sold so many copies. So it's not really free. I, for example, have never even played through half-life. I've spent probably thousands of hours in CS though... I wouldn't say it's free.

Also the graphics were stunning back then. Half-life was a really nice looking game when it came out and CS was released just a year or so later. When 1.6 launched, sure CS wasnt the bee's knees, but it was still decent looking compared to other games on the market. Atm it just looks poor. Not poor like picmip 8 QL looks poor with plain textures, but like a game that just is waaay dated.

If there could be a game that is gameplay wise a lot like a cross between CSS and 1.6 that has good enough graphics to make it bearable to watch for spectators, maybe CS could still have a spot among the larger e-sports titles. And really, I think we all can agree that at least to some extent we would like that?

You dont seem to realize that those who play 1.6 and spectate it gives jack about the graphics. What happened when cs:s got good graphics? terrain was horrible, models are still horrible, hitboxes are out of control. Source doesn't look better than 1.6 in anything, the graphic looses it's weight when the overall game is way to bad and easy to play.

Yes. The people who currently watch 1.6. Which is a steadily decreasing number of people. When it comes to spectating, graphics do matter a bit, at least in games like CS. I agree about CSS looking kinda crappy. Especially models are bullshit. Also clearly gameplay is number one, because there will be nothing to spectate if that isnt good enough. I'm saying gameplay + graphics + a new game so that more people join the scene > a dying scene and whine about how everything that isnt that dying scene is crap. Conservatism is never going to take you anywhere.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:59 pm 
Casual
 WWW  Profile

Still doesn't change the fact that it's the best FPS game in all aspects :p

It's the only game that gives you more skills than you can realistically bind on your keyboard and mouse and yet still takes close to no skill to play.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:32 pm 
Casual

nah. that would be quake :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10