[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Cráb People • View topic - New pc

Cráb People

A 25-man raiding guild on EU-Talnivarr
It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:35 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: New pc
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:09 am 
King Crab

no SSD?

also, if you're optimizing for wow, i can recommend taking a bit less advanced graphics card (560 for example) and investing more in the cpu (2600k)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:26 am 
Ex-Officer

600w should be enough.

On full system load your cpu will draw around 100-150w depending on clockspeed, your gfx around 250w and the rest of your system ~100w. That's around 500w in total while your pc is a maximum load. You will not reach anywhere near this load unless you run extreme benchmarks on both your cpu and gpu at the same time. Playing games does not draw this much power.

If you wanna be _really_ safe then buy a 700w. Anything above that is just a waste of money unless you plan on buying 2 gfx cards.

My system consists of a i7 2600K, 2x GTX580 SLI and 8GB ram. Runs plenty fine of a 1000w psu. The psu doesn't even get warm.

@Mihir: The main difference between 2500k and 2600k is hyperthreading. That doesn't help you in wow. There is a slight difference in clock speeds, but not worth adding over 100 euro just for that imo. You can easily overclock the cpu anyways as they tend to be able to run on just the same frequencies. SSD sure is nice, if you have the money for it then add a 120gb ocz vertex 3 or something like that. It's not gonna ruin your experience in any way if you don't buy one though. Just speeds up the loading times in wow a notch.

Btw gfx cards is VERY important for running wow these days. Since they added the dx11 features the need for a good gfx card is just as important as cpu. Shadows and grass takes a major toll on the gpu. I did some testing in Nagrand when I got my new pc. I put everything on ultra and found a spot where I had exactly 60 fps (with one gfx). Then I enabled SLI and logged in at the exact same place, BAM 120 fps. Even then I fear it was still my gfx that was the bottleneck :P

Enigma.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:37 am 
King Crab

it actually does help quite a bit, if you use the proper thread mapping (instead of the default wow one). there's a good guide on mmo-champ about it, tho theyre down atm, so can't link it. But if you set it up correctly, wow can easily use 6 (virtual) cores., which leaves 2 for stuff like fraps, vent, etc.

edit: this one: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... google.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:46 am 
Ex-Officer

I'm pretty sure that blizzard fixed that a while ago. Wow should check your cpu and start with the optimal settings by default as long as you don't change the processAffinityMask manually.

Enigma.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:48 am 
King Crab

you can easily test yourself, just see what your fps is in a certain area, change the affinity mask, and try again, you should see a major difference.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:49 am 
Ex-Officer

And yes, if you are planning to fraps then you should probably get the 2600k. It owns the 2500k on multitasking by a good margin.

Enigma.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:43 am 
King Crab

edit: moved to viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3173

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:52 pm 
Ex-Officer

I got today :)

Words can't describe how much better it is than the normal rubber dome keyboards. Typing is a joy!!

Enigma.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:11 pm 
Casual

Tall keys is just so fucking disgusting :P

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:22 pm 

thinking of geting a new pc for xmass what u think of this config

IntelCORE i5-2500 3,3GHz BOX 6M LGA1155 BX80623I52500
Seagate500GB 7200RPM ST3500413AS NCQ 500GB SATAIII 16MB
GigabyteGA-P61-USB3-B3 H61 S1155 2DDR3 USB3 ATX
AsusRadeon HD6950 DCII 1GB PX DDR5 256BIT 2xDVI+4xHDMI BOX
OCZStealthXStream 2 600W SLI PSU 80Plus
SilentiumPCBrutus 410 Pure Black AT X/SSD ready/120+120mm be
OCZDDR3 4GB (2x2GB) Gold 1066MHz CL7 LV

suggestions/opinions welcome ;]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 26  Next