[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Cráb People • View topic - Getting a new pc, but which gfx card?

Cráb People

A 25-man raiding guild on EU-Talnivarr
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:21 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Getting a new pc, but which gfx card?
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:06 pm 

I'm getting a new PC from Dell, and there are two options of graphics cards to choose from. Now I know enough about computers to get by, but I don't know which will perform better in terms of WoW gameplay.

is the one I will be purchasing, with the 8GB ram option, and I will be filling the other two ram slots in the future as well.

The two options of graphics card are;

1GB ATI® Radeon™ HD 5770 graphics card
1GB ATI® Radeon™ HD 6770 DDR5 graphics card

I done a search on Google, which shows the 5770 have faster bandwidth, but on other performance factors, it is slightly behind. Now I don't know what difference DDR5 would make as it isn't listed on the review website, but if anyone can recommend the better of the two, that would be great :)

Would the PC be good for Ultra settings in a raid environment at 1920x1080 and what Anti-Aliasing do you think that I could run this at?

I have some plans to start making some videos and learning how to edit them, and combining them with some other PoV in a similar way that Paragon do them, as I like making pretty things :D Going to make a template for screenshot watermarks too which would make it more attractive, and see if the powers above like it or not :)

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Getting a new pc, but which gfx card?
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:44 pm 
Ex-Officer

They are both basically the same card. Welcome to rebranding. Pick the newer 6770. Should be slightly more optimized.

Edit: The PC should be able to run wow decent at ultra settings.

Edit2: Build your own pc and get more for your money!

Enigma.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:01 pm 

I've priced things up, and I don't think I could get something comparable within the same price range (£850 inc VAT and delivery) when I went to a PC shop and an i7 chip alone would cost in excess of £200, with the graphics card around the £200 mark as well.

Having it all pre-built with a nice warranty feels a safer option for me, as I've never built my own either.

I had a feeling the 6770 would be better being newer and DDR5, but I just wanted someone who was a little more technical to advise :)

Thanks

Edit: Just done a fast search of a local cheap PC shop (Yeah I know sourcing from the internet would be better, but I'm not the biggest fan of internet shopping) but the price is £239.99 for the processor alone.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:06 pm 
Ex-Officer

Roughly:

cpu 220£
gfx 110£
mb 110£
ram 80£
hdd 50£
psu 50£
chassis & misc ~100£

Total ~720£ (prices picked from Norwegian netshops, probably a bit cheaper elsewhere)

With a bit of tweaking and the usual discounts you could easily get below 700£ for the same pc :P

However if you don't know how to assemble it and don't know anyone that can do it for you, then it's pretty pointless.

Enigma.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:13 pm 
King Crab

I'm sure Immo will do it for you if you ask him nicely :P

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:44 pm 

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:11 pm 
King Crab

erhm... you can unfortunately :P
you dont wanna know how many times i get called by an uncle of mine who pretends he can build his own pcs, whenever he messes up again ><

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:43 pm 
Casual

6770 is quite a lot better than 5770, and as far as I know actually more bang for the buck.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:26 pm 
Ex-Officer

Don't be reading the fake jpegs miba.

Pretty sure is fake if that's where you got the info from. Check out AMD's official specs . See any similarities with the 5770? :P

Enigma.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:02 pm 
Casual

No. Im thinking about guru3d's benchmark tests.